jeudi 5 juin 2008

Approaching the weekend...

Bonjour, mes amis.

Yesterday, my friend and I had dinner with un de notre amie de francais (one of our French friends).  We picked up dessert from Le Clerc (Grand Marnier cake) and headed to her friend's house.  He made cuisine de asiatique (Asian food) and we played games.  It was so much fun!  We played a game that had three rounds.  Everyone wrote words or actions on cards and put them in a hat.  We divided into teams, and in the first round, we had to describe our object/action to our teammate, and they had to guess it.  For the second round, we had to mime it, and for the third, we were only allowed to say one word.  We played once in English, and once in French.  It was such good practice!!  

Today we went to a spa in Pau for the afternoon.  There were steam rooms and saunas, and three different pools.  I divided my time between the sauna and the steam room, mostly.  The outdoor pool was great, too.  It was wonderful to relax and be warm for a change!  

Tonight was our second cooking class, which was really fun, and I have a new recipe that is absolutely amazing: Roti de porc--sauce Roquefort (Roast pork with Roquefort sauce).  Basically, we cooked a pork roast, and cut it part way into slices.  Then, into the slices we placed hunks of Roquefort, covered the roast in creme fraiche, and put it back into the oven.  C'est tres delicieux.  Our entree (appetizer) was Oeufs Mimosas (we hard boiled eggs, removed the yolk, filled the whites with tuna and mayonnaise, and then grated the yolks back over the eggs).  For dessert, we have Crepe poire--sauce chocolat (crepes filled with vanilla ice cream and pears, covered in chocolate sauce).  Our side dishes were zucchini and onions, and fresh pasta.  The whole meal was good, but the main course was my favorite.  Je pense je vais prendre le meme cours semestre prochain (I think I will take the same course next semester), if it is offered.  

Alors, I have a big test tomorrow in my language class, so I hope that goes well.  I also have a lot of homework and a paper.  However, after class tomorrow, my friend and I are going to do a bit of grocery shopping (mainly snack food so we don't starve on Sunday), and then go downtown to spend the afternoon in a terrace de cafe (an outdoor cafe).  We will probably eat some pistachio ice cream (I think it's one of the best things Pau has to offer), and do homework.

Interesting fact about France:  Coca-cola is wildly popular here, and one of the most common sights is someone sitting at a cafe, drinking a Coca-cola or a "Coca-light" (diet coke) and reading a book, or talking with friends.  The soda comes in a glass bottle, which they pour into a glass over ice.  Coke products are quite expensive here, though--three and a half euros (approximately six USD) to order one at a cafe or restaurant.  However, in France, you can buy one drink, and sit in the cafe for as long as you want (often for hours at a time).  


It is raining (again) tonight.  We are headed to the Basque coast on Saturday, and then on Sunday my friend Frederike and I are going to go with a group of cyclists on a biking tour of Pau, and will have a picnic afterwards.  It should be fun.  It will be challenging, though...we're in the mountains, so it's not exactly easy cycling!  

Tomorrow night I will babysit for my host family...that will be nice because I will have a quiet evening (the kids go to bed early). 

Bisous, 
Marguerite.

Aucun commentaire: