dimanche 22 juin 2008

Gavarnie (Pyrenees)

















Bonjour, mes amis.

I didn't take these three photos (my camera can't capture scope like this), but I did take these.  There was a lot more snow when we were there.  This particular spot is protected by UNESCO as one of the "World Heritage" places in the world.  We hiked to the waterfall (shown here):
By the end of the hike, we had hiked for over four hours.  It was positively gorgeous, but got more difficult the closer we got to the waterfall (from the distance of the photo to the left, we still had to hike for about thirty five minutes to get to the waterfall itself.  The wind was so strong and the air was so cold, that I was drenched in less than twenty seconds when we finally got close to the waterfall.  It made for an uncomfortable walk back.  However, because I was already so dirty and wet, I didn't mind so much when I fell into the stream.  Balance never has been my strongsuit).  

I saw my first herd of mountain goats on that hike, too.  I had always had romanticized, Heidi-like images of herds of mountain goats.  In reality, they really smelled goaty.

We had lunch at a charming lodge in the village.  The chicken was wonderful and very fresh.  One girl got hers and said, slightly horrified, "I got a feather in mine."  She had a similar reaction to Roquefort, "Why did I put it in my mouth?  I knew I didn't like green things."  Not everyone is loving the locally raised/produced food like I am.  

Speaking of food, I found really great yogurt here.  It's produced by a family business in the Pyrenees, and they make yogurt (all different flavors).  There's a picture and description of the farm on the packaging, and it says that one of the brothers in the business is in charge of the milking, and the other of the actual yogurt-making.  It's unpasteurized goodness, and I'm completely addicted.  

The only bad news is that I have two finals tomorrow, and I haven't studied for either of them.  I spent the night last night at a friend's apartment, and because the buses don't run on Sundays, I had to walk home.  It took me an hour and a half, and then I went walking with a friend of mine.  I'm slightly fatigued.  

Last night was France's annual Fete de la Musique and we went dancing afterwards.  The music festival was lots of fun:  It didn't start until after nine o'clock in the evening, and went until two o'clock am.  EVERYONE attends...including families, babies in strollers, gypsies, and dragqueens. 

I had dinner with my family tonight, which was nice--I'm understanding more and more French daily.  Yay.  The little boy and I had a funny exchange all through dinner, he would say, "Merci, Madame" (funny because I'm actually mademoiselle) and I would respond, "De rien, Monsieur" (funny because he's so young).  My host dad and I are going to watch the match du football later. 

Bisous, 

Marguerite.

Aucun commentaire: