mercredi 2 juillet 2008

Une petite pause.


Salut, mes amis.

I have been quite busy since I've returned from Paris~Les Soldes are in full swing, donc (thus, so) I've been forced to do some shopping.  Classes commenced yesterday, too.  They are from 9:30 to 12:30 (last session they began at 9:00), with a one hour phonetiques class twice a week. There are six levels of French to test into, and I tested into the fifth level (I was a bit intimidated, though, so I switched down to four, but it was good to have visible proof that mon francais is improving).  I also have a class on the history of French music this session.  We listened to some Maurice Chevalier, whom I've loved him since I saw In Search of the Castaways quand j'etait petite (when I was little).  My professors are wonderful, mais elles parlent tres vite (but they speak very quickly).  Je crois que cet semestre est plus difficile que le semestre dernier (I think that this semester is more difficult than last semester), but that can only do good things for my French.

I promise to write about my time in Paris sometime soon, but it's a bit intimidating to write about such a beloved city; so much has already been eloquently written.  However, I did take pictures, and many of the captions have fun facts (I'm a terrible photographer, though, so my photos don't do the city justice).  The album names are proof of my creativity: Paris, Paris II, Paris III, Paris IV, Paris V, and Paris VI (I posted all of the photos I took so I could delete my memory card--please don't feel obligated to look through all of them, or be as fascinated by chandeliers as I am).  

My host dad's parents are in town this week, so we had a long dinner yesterday.  There would be nothing interesting to report if it hadn't been such a light meal (the big meal of the day in France is dejeuner, or lunch, and dinners tend to be light).  They kept refilling my glass with some sort of aperetif from Portugal, and I couldn't really refuse~though I tried! However, I was already completely exhausted from the day, and kept getting sleepier and sleepier.  My french comprehension took a nosedive after my third glass of it.  Pascal's father was impressive, though.  Whereas I would sip my glass, in hopes that it wouldn't get refilled (it was really good, but I can't drink too much), he would pour a glass and then drink the whole thing like a shot.  It would have been completely inappropriate for me to leave before dessert, so I sat there until about nine o'clock, when we finally finished the apricot tart.  After the meal, Sandrine (my host mom) told me I should go dancing with some of my friends because I "already had a good start on the night."  I laughed.  And then I slept really well.  I do not know how the French can drink so much with such light meals and not be falling out of their chairs.


A+ (A plus, which is an abbreviation for a plus tard, which translates basically as "later"), 

Marguerite. 

Aucun commentaire: